|Instructor:||Elizabeth Marsh||305 766 1910 – cell (text is better)|
|Canvas email is best|
Social media is no longer the platform that needs to be sold as important to the management of a company. It has become clear that customers expect not only a social media presence but an active, engaged and responsive social media presence. The only way, however, to ensure that you are effectively using social media in a business setting is to set appropriate measurable objectives and then evaluate if your strategy is meeting these objectives. Further because social media exists as a digital format, measurement is expected by the brand you are working for or with. This course will give students understanding of the ways to measure social media effectiveness. They will also learn how to interpret the results of their evaluation and the effect of those results on a long term strategic communication strategy.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the importance of measuring social media as a function of public relations.
- Interpret the Barcelona Accords as they relate to social media
- Identify appropriate goals for social media listening and measurement (SMART goals)
- Examine listening and measurement tools available for social media
- Apply the Boolean search approach to keyword identification and search term building
- Measure and evaluate the social media activity using free listening and measurement tools
- Present the findings of social media metrics in a clear and effective manner linking them to corporate SMART goals
- Assess and explain a real world crisis management response that used social media
- Describe the personnel and technical requirements of a successful long term social media strategy
- Examine the relationship between social media impact and a successful long term strategic engagement plan for the web
The Inverted Classroom (graduate school style)
As an undergraduate the model has been that you were given information from the professor, and you were responsible for “learning” it. As a graduate student I expect you to take the information I provide you, in articles and book chapters, combined with information you yourself discover through your research, and synthesize it to create your own learning experience. Think of it as you all teaching me. You are teaching all your colleagues, which is me and your fellow students, for what are we if not colleagues. So be sure to post and share anything you discover. We will work through problems together and in small groups. I may will ask you to present topics. I expect you to argue with me. I expect you to disagree politely with each other. I expect you to enlighten all of us. If you don’t then you’re not thinking enough about the topic.
SCJ Diversity Statement
The School of Communication + Journalism (SCJ) fosters an environment of inclusivity and respect for diversity and multiculturalism. The SJMC educates students to embrace diversity and understand the root causes of discrimination, as well as social, ethnic, sexual, disability and gender-based exclusion
This course utilizes the following tools:
- Google Analytics (so make sure you have a google account)
- We will go through how to use this tool in the class.
- Meltwater – an enterprise level media listening tool.
- We will go through this tool as well.
- A variety of free social media measurement tools that we will discuss in Module 3.
Accessibility And Accommodation
The Disability Resource Center collaborates with students, faculty, staff, and community members to create diverse learning environments that are usable, equitable, inclusive and sustainable. The DRC provides FIU students with disabilities the necessary support to successfully complete their education and participate in activities available to all students. If you have a diagnosed disability and plan to utilize academic accommodations, please contact the Center at 305-348-3532 or visit them at the Graham Center GC 190.
- Please visit our ADA Compliance webpage for information about accessibility involving the tools used in this course.
- Please visit Blackboard’s Commitment Accessibility webpage for more information.
- For additional assistance please contact FIU’s Disability Resource Center.
Academic Misconduct Statement
Florida International University is a community dedicated to generating and imparting knowledge through excellent teaching and research, the rigorous and respectful exchange of ideas and community service. All students should respect the right of others to have an equitable opportunity to learn and honestly to demonstrate the quality of their learning. Therefore, all students are expected to adhere to a standard of academic conduct, which demonstrates respect for themselves, their fellow students, and the educational mission of the University. All students are deemed by the University to understand that if they are found responsible for academic misconduct, they will be subject to the Academic Misconduct procedures and sanctions, as outlined in the Student Handbook.
Academic Misconduct includes: Cheating – The unauthorized use of books, notes, aids, electronic sources; or assistance from another person with respect to examinations, course assignments, field service reports, class recitations; or the unauthorized possession of examination papers or course materials, whether originally authorized or not. Plagiarism – The use and appropriation of another’s work without any indication of the source and the representation of such work as the student’s own. Any student who fails to give credit for ideas, expressions or materials taken from another source, including internet sources, is responsible for plagiarism.
Learn more about the academic integrity policies and procedures as well as student resources that can help you prepare for a successful semester.
How to Measure Social Media: A Step-By-Step Guide to Developing and Assessing Social Media ROI (Que Biz-Tech)Nichole KellyQue Publishing, 1st Edition, 2012ISBN-10: 0133099784ISBN-13: 9780133099829Book Info. You may purchase your textbook online at the FIU Bookstore.
Click here to buy digitally from the publisher
Click here for Amazon link